The first big goal Alex and I set out to accomplish for this game was to create the open world landscape the player will be able to explore. We both wanted to make sure the environment felt just as much alive as the creatures who lived there so we didn't move on until we had a good foundation built. Much of the work was put into designing and scripting a good day cycle. There were a lot of tones and visuals I wanted to include for each phase of the day so the script was adjusted to accommodate that. Alex also made it really artist friendly so I could easily adjust color and weather values until we had something that looked right.
I'm a huge fan of DnD but I can never gather enough people on a consistent basis to play! That and the approach of a long flight back home got me thinking what a single-player DnD would look like. Well unfortunately I couldn't tell you... I never came up with a solution to that and I'm not sure there is. Once you remove the group element from a game like DnD, it becomes an entirely different experience. Most single player RPGs are heavily authored and aren't as open to the kind of expression and creativity you expect in a tabletop RPG. So having come to that conclusion, I still wanted to make something of the design I had started.
Introducing Pocket Bite! It's a little bite-sized RPG that is easy to learn and easy to play. It works just like your classic pen and paper RPG only there is much less preparation and calculations involved allowing more room for storytelling. At least this is my hope for the game. It's still in its alpha stages and I haven't done all that much play testing yet.
In addition to the rule set, I also made a little application that will eventually stand in for the pens and paper generally used to track characters and campaigns. Right now it simply lets you build a character and track all of their stats and items. This too is in it's early stages so it's missing a lot of functionality that would really make it essential for this game. I have a lot of plans for this RPG and the application so until I really go into production on it, everyone is free to take a look at the rules and try out the application all available on the site I made!
Since this time I was doing all the design and scripting, I decided to skip the art and use an asset pack to speed things along. I ended up getting this awesome "Roguelike" 1-bit sprite pack made by Bungie game director, Christopher Barrett! Coincidentally, my friend Dima currently works with him there. The sprites are just awesome and fit this project perfectly. If you like the style, you can check out it and other packs on their site.
These are some dad knight models I made a while back that unfortunately never got finished. They were early ideas for boss characters but we found that they didn't quite fit the game. Luckily I can still show you and they won't just stay crammed in my hard drive like some forgotten pokemon. I was tasked with the concepts as well so read on for that if you like!
I had a lot of fun making them and I think they cover a good range of dad personalities. I know there are all kinds of dads but there are definitely some archetypes that I tried to use here. Imagine you were a kid in elementary school and you met your friend's dad briefly at a sleepover; your impression of him could have been a big, scary, ol' grizzly dad or maybe he was a more clean-cut, rule oriented dad. No Matter what their dad was like, it was always nice to get back to your humble, tiered, stubby dad the next day.
I have been waiting for an opportunity to share this! I guess it's better late than never. I wasn't sure it was safe to share but Kevin posted his whole album so I guess its all fine! Also, be sure to check out Kevin's website and follow him on what ever social media outlet you use because he's got a lot more to share in the future, I can assure you!
The album art was done using a few of the game's power-ups and a slightly higher rez Finn model. Luckily the keytar and Marceline's ax bass were already part of the game because they fit right into this album cover!
For the past few months I have been working with Lavaboots Studios on their adventure game called Salt! It's been great to work with them and I have had so much fun creating the models and animations they use for the characters in game. I'm happy to have finally gotten the chance to put together a little reel of animations I made and post them for all to see!
This character was my first time creating and rigging a proper RPG character. By that I mean a character who has interchangeable clothes and other body features. To make sure there was as little clipping as possible with the clothes and any underlying geometry, I split the base character up into bits dependent on the different types of clothes he would wear. For example, the arm would need to be ready for shirts with no sleeve, short sleeves, and long sleeves.
When the character has a short sleeve shirt on like this, the programmer can turn off the upper parts of the arm that would be covered by the sleeve keeping any underlying geometry from mistakenly clipping though while animating.
This technique makes it much easier for me to paint skin weights for the clothes and not have to worry to much if they are exactly the same as the body skin weights. I haven't found a quick way to match the weights on two separate meshes with out going in one by one and copying the weights per vertex but that would surly lead to more accurate deformation. I believe the way I have done it here is how most RPGs, such as The Elder Scrolls, handle clothing because unexpected clothing combinations in those games will reveal invisible body parts underneath.
As you can see from the animation above, there is still a bit of clipping with clothing items. This will require some more careful weight painting on my part but I would love a more accurate and less tedious way to handle this in the future.